Thursday, August 23, 2012

Using Humor to Cope


“I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.”
-Audrey Hepburn


Humor helps me cope more than anything else.  It is really what keeps me sane, whether it is finding the humor in a situation, joking around, or just watching something funny.

I honestly don’t know how I’d handle being chronically ill if I couldn’t find the humor in almost any situation.  I laugh about how ridiculous things are often (which has led some to think I am crazy…but hey, their loss for not seeing the humor in the situation).  It’s not that I don’t take things seriously, but being able to laugh at things helps make them more bearable.

Take, for instance, my clumsiness.  Sure I could just get frustrated at myself for constantly tripping, bumping into things, burning myself, dropping things, etc., but how would that help?  Instead, as long as I am not seriously injured, I laugh at how silly I must have looked.  I laugh at how crazy it is that I managed to injure myself on something I knew was there.  I laugh at the fact that it is the umpteenth time I have made the same mistake.

I laugh at the things I do because of brain fog--taking the time to actually make a grocery list but then forgetting it; turning on the electric kettle (luckily with auto shut-off) and forgetting to make the tea for so long that the water is cold and has to be reheated; putting food in the toaster or microwave, but forgetting to turn it on and wondering why it is taking so long; or talking about how we always forget to take the trash out on garbage night, then realizing the next morning that last night was garbage night but even talking about it didn’t remind me.

Another opportunity to laugh is the constant game of charades I play with anyone who attempts to communicate with me.  I am always making crazy hand gestures trying to portray the words I can’t remember, while saying something that doesn’t help at all.

Names are the worst.  “You know, so and so who was in that movie with what’s his name.”  I also laugh when my husband guesses right the first time from such a vague description because he has become so used to me doing this.  Then I laugh at the fact that most of our conversations are about movies or TV shows, since I don’t get out much and all.

Having family and friends who share my sense of humor makes it even easier to find something to laugh about.  All it takes is a glance, a word, or even a picture and I can be cracking up because we know how to make each other laugh.  I can be having the worst day or week and that one thing can have me laughing so hard it hurts, and suddenly things don’t seem so bad.

Where do you find humor?

4 comments:

  1. thanks for your post! One of the things my husband and I do is watch funny stuff on netflix or even on youtube. It's usually old things, because so much of what is considered funny now is toilet humor, but we like the old What's My Line show clips which are on youtube and a lot of the Frasier episodes on Netflix. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use Netflix a lot too. We don’t bother with cable because stuff that is on today just doesn’t compare to the older stuff for the most part. And there is always something on YouTube that is good for a laugh.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you are back blogging !! I've been told I have a wicked, sarcastic sense of humor, and it has come in mighty handy since I developed fibromyalgia, I must say!! I, like yourself, find humor in just about anything...better to laugh it off, then get upset and frustrated, yes?? Humor is one of my many non-medication coping mechanisms; I also use distraction as a way to cope: keep your mind off the FM as much as possible. Hobbies, etc. help with this. Some days you can't, and have to give in to the nasty beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Distraction is a good one too! A must for dealing with pain…I am very glad that most days I am not too sensitive to light and noise to be able to watch a little TV or use the computer. Those days when I am are dreadful and I really feel for those who deal with that daily.

      Delete