Saturday, September 15, 2012

30 Things Meme


Since it is National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week, I have filled out the 30 Things Meme.


30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know


  1. The illness I live with is: ME/CFS, Fibro, POTS…just to name a few
  2. I was diagnosed with it in the year:  2002
  3. But I had symptoms since:  1998 (age 13)
  4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is:  having to ration the little energy I have.
  5. Most people assume:  my illness is something I’ll “get over” (I wish!)
  6. The hardest part about mornings is:  waking up
  7. My favorite medical TV show is:  Grey’s Anatomy
  8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is:  my laptop (my connection to the outside world)
  9. The hardest part about nights is:  not even being able to escape my exhaustion in my dreams
  10. Each day I take 14 pills & vitamins. 
  11. Regarding alternative treatments I:  stick with those recommended by a doctor I trust and have found a few helpful ones.
  12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose:  visible…of course the grass is always greener, so I might have answered differently if I had a visible illness.
  13. Regarding working and career:  I wish I was well enough to have really started a career.
  14. People would be surprised to know:  how many hours a day I can sleep.
  15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been:  my limits
  16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was:  graduate college
  17. The commercials about my illness:  are nonexistent 
  18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is:  being physically active.  I used to be very active and loved going on hikes and long walks to explore new places.
  19. It was really hard to have to give up:  gluten
  20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is:  blogging
  21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would:  spend the day having fun with my nieces and nephews
  22. My illness has taught me:  to appreciate the little things
  23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is:  you really need to exercise/get out more (my body thinks showering is running a marathon—so I think that is enough “exercise” at this point, and as far as going out, I am probably still recovering from my last doctor’s appointment)
  24. But I love it when people:  actually try to learn about my illnesses
  25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is:  “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
  26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them:  You are not alone.
  27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is:  how much energy things like taking a shower and brushing teeth take.
  28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was:  I would have to say a tie between making/giving me gluten free baked goods and cleaning for me.
  29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because:  I want to raise awareness.
  30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel:  happy

3 comments:

  1. This is a post I hope to share with many of my friends and my family, they really have no clue what Fibro and Ankylosing Spondylitis combined has done and continues to do to me...it can be tough some days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so happy to have found this site. i am actually too tired to write my own 30 but can so relate to yours!

    ReplyDelete